Willunga Recreation Park is owned and managed by the community of Willunga. This has been the case since 1875 when a group of residents determined that a public park be provided for the use of local residents. Over the ensuing years the park has been developed and become a focal point for the community, not only for sporting activities but for all social and community events.

The management committee has always been pro-active in developing facilities for the community and many of the dates and functions which reflect the history on Willunga Recreation Park are listed below.

  • 1839 : Willunga surveyed and settlement started
  • June 1875 A meeting of residents determined that a public park be provided for the use of local residents
  • 1876 : 8 acres of land within Willunga purchased for $96 ($192). This became known as Willunga Recreation Park
  • 1874 Willunga Football Club established
  • 1876 : Oval established using couch obtained from Lassock’s.
  • 1890 : Willunga Show Hall established and built for 360 pounds ($720)
  • 1891 : Show Hall opened 6th March
  • 1903 : Oval Pavilion opened
  • 1924 : Willunga Netball Club formed
  • 1952 : Speedway conducted around Willunga oval
  • 1970 : Almond Blossom Festival commenced to raise funds for a stadium.
  • 1974 : Almond Blossom Festival opened by the premier Don Dunstan
  • 1978 : Construction of the Festival Hall commenced in September
  • 1979 : RSL and CWA moved into their new clubrooms with Willunga Recreation Park
  • 1979 : Festival Hall built
  • 1979 : Festival Hall opened on July 15 by the Mayor of Willunga, Mr E Lacey
  • 1982 : Sports and Social Club built at a cost of $47,000
  • 2002 : Tennis and Netball courts built
  • 2005 : Willunga Police Station purchased
  • 2014 : Slate roof replaced on Show Hall
  • 2015 : 11 Main Road purchased
  • 2016 : Project to plan the upgrade of the Festival Hall commenced